Matthew Booker on Livewire
Portfolio Manager, Matthew Booker on Livewire’s The Rules of Investing podcast.
In this podcast, Spheria Portfolio Manager Matthew Booker discusses how he preserves capital in bear markets and outperforms in bull markets. The discussion with Livewire’s David Thornton includes:
- where we are in the small cap cycle;
- the opportunities Spheria are targeting;
- capital preservation; and
- the former market darling that’s back in business.
- 1:50 – Where we are in the small cap cycle
- 3:30 – Lessons from the past year
- 5:30 – Preserving capital
- 6:50 – Outperforming without lithium
- 10:00 – Why the best is ahead for small caps and microcaps
- 11:00 – Filtering down an enormous universe of stocks
- 12:40 – “Inverse broker” indicator
- 14:00 – Investing in “legitimate growth”
- 16:55 – Red flags
- 21:20 – Takeovers
- 23:00 – Outlook for M&A
- 28:00 – Return of an unloved market darling?
- 35:30 – A bottom-drawer stock (from New Zealand)